[OT] open-source license issues

Piotr Szturmaj bncrbme at jadamspam.pl
Tue Apr 12 03:12:29 PDT 2011

Kagamin wrote:
> Kagamin Wrote:
>
>> spir Wrote:
>>
>>> There is a point I don't understand: if I'm right, LGPL as well as all other
>>> "open source", not strictly free-software, licenses allow using licensed
>>> software even for "privative" (proprietary) work. But they wouldn't allow using
>>> software for work licensed under other open-source licenses like the Boost license?
>>> Where's the bug?
>>
>> They can be used, but they can't become proprietary or Boost licensed.
>
> I also wander, what people plan to do with libmysql? It's GPL.

There's a FOSS license exception for MySQL client library:
http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/

Boost license is not on the list, but we may ask them to include it.

Anyway, I'm writing my PostgreSQL client without using libpq:
http://github.com/pszturmaj/ddb

It's licensed under Boost 1.0 so it could be included into Phobos. I
planned to write MySQL client without using client lib as well. However
I'm not sure about stability of their protocol (in contrast to
PostgreSQL's):

http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQL_Internals_ClientServer_Protocol