Anyone interested in simpleaudio.d too?

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 04:10:06 PDT 2011

On 04/12/2011 06:30 AM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I just dug up my old wav.d and quickly added wav.play() support
> to it for both Windows and Linux. Now, this is sucky D1 code,
> but hey, it works, and it's short. If there's interest, I can
> port to D2 and add some range support to it and see about fleshing
> it out.
>
> http://arsdnet.net/dcode/wav.d
>
> Again, this is D1, so be sure to use an appropriate compiler. It's
> dependency free (even on Linux - the only calls it makes are to the
> kernel for open, write, close, and ioctl. It uses the OSS /dev/dsp
> method.
>
> BTW, yes, I know OSS is deprecated. Fuck that noise, ALSA is a piece
> of shit and who the hell even knows what's going on anymore beyond it.
> Seems like every time I turn around there's another half assed new
> Linux audio stack. What the damn son.
>
> OSS is technically superior and *infinitely* easier to use. If I
> decide to post my MIDI code, you'll see what I mean - it uses ALSA
> and takes like 100 lines to do the simplest thing. The Windows
> version of midi, using the *low level* functions was about ten lines
> long...
>
> Besides OSS works on just about any unix, so it's more cross platform
> too. So yeah, I'm sticking to it for any kind of simple audio module.)

An excellent article on the topic:
http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2007/05/sorry-state-of-sound-in-linux.html
(many other articles by the author are very good)

Also, OSS has been free software again for 4 years already. And yes, ALSA is
plain shift both for the developper & the user; and its propaganda is bullshit.
Use OSS! and let it be known this is the only right choice available for
efficient, simple, and portable sound apps...

Denis