[OT] open-source license issues

Fawzi Mohamed fawzi at gmx.ch
Tue Apr 12 07:01:06 PDT 2011

For my personal libs/programs I fully agree with spir:

1) attribution is a very light burden
2) it is nice, and somehow the right thing to do
3) it gives back at least a bit of advertisement to the stuff *you can
use freely*

For those reasons I did release blip with an apache 2.0 license, by
using it I can also easily integrate/use all kinds of free libraries,
but it stays free, and usable also in commercial contexts.

That said I think that having phobos using the Boost license, aside
form "being nice for the user" it other subtle effects:
yes it makes "standing on the shoulders of giants" more difficult,
because you cannot as easily use other libraries,
but exactly for that reason it forces one to rebuild things from
scratch (or almost).
For a *base* library, this is not necessarily a bad thing, it reduces
dependencies, and might even give code that is more optimized.

I think that there is space in D for other libraries, libraries that
use licenses like apache 2.0 or BSD.
Still I understand that the base library is boost licensed, it might
not be my first choice for my own projects (I don't want to always
develop everything from scratch), but it is a clear choice, and a
choice that has its own merits.

Fawzi