[OT] open-source license issues

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 07:37:07 PDT 2011

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 09:46:24 -0400, spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/12/2011 03:02 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> D is not a Linux/FOSS-only language, but also to be used on Windows and
>> for proprietary software. And especially for Windows it's common to
>> distribute software (especially freeware and shareware ) just as the
>> self-contained binary.
>
> Windows apps have a menu entry just perfect for that kind of attribution
> stuff; used to be called "about".

Any requirements placed on the end user are unacceptable.  D is not meant
to be egotistical.  It does not need attribution.  The less restrictions
we enforce on the users of D, the more people will be willing to use it.

I personally think the Boost license is perfect for D -- gives rights to
the authors when the source is distributed so we don't have any question
as to who wrote things, and gives full control to the end user when he
just wants to build a product.

-Steve