[OT] Spaces/tabs (Was: simple display (from: GUI library for D))

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Apr 13 06:16:44 PDT 2011

On 12/04/2011 21:08, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> ""Jérôme M. Berger""<jeberger at free.fr>  wrote in message
> news:io2396$1nuo$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> spir wrote:
>>>
>>> A drawback is one cannot directly have different indent levels, for
>>> instance to indent collection contents more, or less, than blocks of
>>> code. This can also be considered an advantage; and is simply solved by
>>> using... spaces ;-)
>>>
>>> void f () {
>>>   ->  while (true) {
>>>   ->   ->  table = [
>>>   ->   ->  .."aaa" : 1,
>>>   ->   ->  .."bbb" : 2,
>>>   ->   ->  .."ccc" : 3,
>>>   ->   ->  ];
>>>   ->   ->  auto a = this(table);
>>>   ->   ->  if (! a) break;
>>>   ->  }
>>> }
>>>
>>> (yes, the example is stupid)
>>>
>> Unfortunately, most editors are completely unable to handle this
>> example properly: sure they will *display* it fine, but they will
>> not allow you to *enter* it right (especially if you need more
>> spaces for alignment than the tab size).

Why would editors not allow you to enter that right? I don't see what
the problem would be, unless you configured your editor to replaces N
spaces into a tab for indentation.

> That's unfortunately true. I used to try to do that in cases like this:
>
> if(blah)
> {
> ->   foo(.bigLongArg1,
> ->   .....bigLongArg2,
> ->   .....bigLongArg3
> ->   );
> }
>
> But editors just choke on that like crazy. It's a pain to type it in that
> way, and then when you go back to edit (add another arg on another line, for
> instance), it just screws it all up again, likely without me even noticing
> right away. (And I even have most auto-formatting turned off.) I decided it
> was far more trouble than it was worth.

Works fine in Eclipse, again because when it auto-indents on Enter, it
uses the indentation of the previous line. :)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer