Csmith - C compiler stress test

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 11:57:02 PDT 2011

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:45:17 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 4/13/2011 7:13 AM, Robert Clipsham wrote:
>> I've just come across Csmith:
>>
>> http://embed.cs.utah.edu/csmith/
>>
>> The tool randomly generates valid C99 code to stress test C compilers
>> and has
>> found 350+ bugs in GCC/LLVM alone over the past couple of years. It
>> might be
>> interesting to run dmc through this, and maybe adapt the tool to
>> generate D test
>> cases?
>>

> I talked to one of the others, he didn't think it would be that hard to
> adapt it to D, but we'd have to do it ourselves.
>
> I think this could be fairly valuable for D compilers.
>
> Anyone looking for a project?

As much as this might be a fun project, and might find bugs for D, I have
to point out that there are *plenty* of bugs in dmd that need fixing.  Any
would be takers for this project should also consider lending a hand at
fixing existing bugs.  Then again, fixing dmd bugs might be less fun, so I
could understand if someone preferred not to.

I think this tool would be great once dmd is fully functional.

-Steve