Csmith - C compiler stress test

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Apr 13 13:00:46 PDT 2011

> As much as this might be a fun project, and might find bugs for D, I have to
> point out that there are *plenty* of bugs in dmd that need fixing. Any would be
> takers for this project should also consider lending a hand at fixing existing
> bugs. Then again, fixing dmd bugs might be less fun, so I could understand if
> someone preferred not to.
>
> I think this tool would be great once dmd is fully functional.

I think it's a mistake to avoid looking for bugs since we already have bugs to
fix. We have bugzilla to keep track of them, and sure it might take time to fix
them, but at least they will be there.

Also, many people submit bug fix patches. Different people are interested in
different kinds of bugs, and having some integer math bugs (which is what csmith
finds) may appeal to a particular fixer.