"Try it now"

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 17:37:30 PDT 2011

bearophile wrote:
> Well designed user interfaces degrade gracefully.

That's exactly why I took the approach I did... see below.

>  Here this means hiding the output and edit windows if JavaScript
> is enabled, and showing them if JS is not available on the user
> browser.

Showing has a cost. The site is easier to use without edit boxes
surrounding every example - it puts a lot of stuff in the way
of the content you're actually looking for; they get in the way.

While it's a cool little feature to have, it's not essential
to the site's main purpose, namely, presenting the documentation
in an easy to read fashion.

So the upsides of being fully functional (technically easy, btw,
the main thing is just a standard html form, and with the iframe
target, it'd do an inline submit without script too, no changes)
has to weighed against the downside of being cluttered.

With the script, it's possible to have the best of both worlds.
But, without the script, I just don't feel it's worth it. Toys
shouldn't get in the way of the main goal.