"Try it now"

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 08:34:00 PDT 2011

>>> This is a problem. Unittest code is not meant to produce an output,
>>> while online snippets to try are meant to nearly always produce a
>>> meaningful output.
>>
>> All my unittest blocks produce meaningful output; there exist firstly
>> for that. Am I an heretic?
>
> No, you're just doing it wrong. Heretic might be sometimes good.
>
> http://www.linfo.org/rule_of_silence.html

Right, I know that and totally disagree. This rule is IMO the exact opposite of
human-friendliness (numerous authors on usability and friends share this
opinion, indeed).
Also, this is not what I'm talking about: I'm not here expecting just "all
fine, brother", but various data helping me and understand how things actually
worked; to be short, data useful to the coder during development or debug. See
also reply to Steven's post.

Denis