[OT] Partial-reparsing thory?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Apr 14 15:51:29 PDT 2011

Is anyone aware of any (formal or informal)
theory/information/research/articles/etc. that's already been done on the
idea of reparsing *part* of an already-parsed source? Either lexing, parsing
or both together. Preferably LR, but LL might be helpful, too. (I'd imagine
it may be notably more difficult with LR. May need to keep track of all the
parsing steps taken the first time around, and may need to continue
re-parsing to the end of the source.)

I know code editors deal with that sort of thing a lot, but my understanding
is they often accept a certain amount of inaccuracy (for the sake of being
more line-oriented) and also tend to be more lexing-oriented and very light
on parsing.