Distinction of null and empty [was Re: Ceylon language]

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Apr 14 18:36:16 PDT 2011

"Jesse Phillips" <jessekphillips+D at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:io7oov$21d8$1 at digitalmars.com...
> spir Wrote:
>
>> This also leads to actual distinction of null and [] or "" for arrays &
>> strings. Just dreaming...
>
> Really? You want this? I really like that a null array is equal to an
> empty array.

I've thought about that and I don't know how I feel about it. On one hand, I
can certainly image cases where the distiction between null and empty would
be useful. But OTOH, after having to put up with the nightmare of VB6's "One
million distinct ways to have a string that doesn't contain anything", I'm
hesitent at embracing extra ways to have "ain't nuthin' here".