std.parallelism: Naming?

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Apr 16 13:22:19 PDT 2011

On 2011-04-16 14:39:23 -0400, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> said:

> I'm reconsidering the naming of std.parallelism.  The name is catchy,
> but perhaps too general.  std.parallelism currently targets SMP
> parallelism.  In the future it would be nice for Phobos to target SIMD
> parallelism and distributed message passing parallelism, too.  These
> might belong in different modules.  Then again, std.smp or
> std.multicore or something just doesn't sound as catchy.  SIMD would
> probably just be array ops and stuff.  Distributed message passing
> would probably be absorbed by std.concurrency since the distinction
> between concurrency and parallelism isn't as obvious at this level and
> std.concurrency is already the home of message passing stuff.  Please
> comment.

While "parallelism" might be too general, isn't it true that it's too
specific at the same time? I mean, the module includes a concurrent
task system, some sugar to parallelize loops using tasks (foreach, map,
reduce), and an async buffer implementation also based on tasks. Of
those, which are truly parallelism?

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com