too early for D2 and too late for D1

Gour-Gadadhara Dasa gour at atmarama.net
Sun Apr 17 02:37:16 PDT 2011

Hello!

My first post to this newsgroup was a little bit more than 6 months ago
and today I've decided to leave D and use C(P)ython + Qt for our
open-source project of writing multi-platform desktop application.

The D community is very nice and supportive, Walter, Andrei & co. are
working hard, but, imho, D is not ready (yet).

Recently, after switching from Linux to (Free)PC-BSD I even lost
ability to have working compiler on x86_64 (none of the compilers is
available in ports). The crucial thing is that D's ecosystem is simply
not ready for day-to-day GUI programming and there is no clear roadmap
so that one can anticipate when to expect that something will be done.

Let me say, that I really like what D has on its plate, but language
needs libraries to be successful, otherwise it is only promise-land.

I've become tired for programming language's ecosystem to become
mature...waited too long with Haskell and arrived to D hoping it is
more pragmatic for day-to-day usage, but the situation seems even
worse...Yeah, I know...I arrived at the wrong time during D1 --> D2
transition...

That's, why I believe that the mantra in the subject, which I coined
in IRC the other day, holds true.

I'm thankful to all the members of this group for every piece of
advice and input I received, as well to Andrei (his book is on my
shelf - I even put it in the hardcover), but I want to code my project
*today*, have plenty of (GUI) choices, lot of docs, tools and clear
roadmap where the certain projects are going.

I hope I might re-evaluate D2 sometime in the future for some other
project...

Sincerely,
Gour

--
“In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are
all mental speculations…” (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)