too early for D2 and too late for D1

jasonw user at webmails.org
Sun Apr 17 13:46:24 PDT 2011

Walter Bright Wrote:

> On 4/17/2011 1:27 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> > 1. Phobos and druntime is statically compiled in. On a really limited
> > embedded platform you wouldn't use Phobos anyway, but write your own
> > standardlib and runtime that suit your needs (it's not like anybody
> > would use full C++ with STL on such a platform. Well, probably not even
> > C++ at all or only a very limited subset).
>
> On 16 bit DOS computers, you can't use C++ STL or even exception handling.

I'd like to hear your comments about the 32-bit D2 and minimal executables issue. If I use dietlibc and gcc, the minimal (static) binary is about 0.2 kilobytes. DMD should have some switch (-embedded) which leaves out all the cruft I don't need. I'd like to use the cool new features and start with this kind of minimal executables. 0.5 - 50 kilobyte range is optimal.