std.parallelism: VOTE IN THIS THREAD

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 08:15:13 PDT 2011

== Quote from Michel Fortin (michel.fortin at michelf.com)'s article
> I say yes.
> I want to mention that I am a left a little skeptical about the lack of
> low-level race safety in this module, but I understand that this is
> more a language- or compiler-level problem than one with the module
> itself. I hope these problem will be addressed eventually and that
> std.parallelism can become safe that day.

One other point about safety:  D's flagship concurrency model doesn't hold your
hand on high-level invariants, only low-level data races.  Probably nothing will
ever be able to hold your hand about high level invariants.  With std.parallelism
getting the high-level invariants (i.e. what has data dependencies and what
doesn't) wrong can lead to low-level races, but as long as you get the high-level
invariants right (only parallelize stuff without data dependencies) all the low
level concurrency issues are taken care of and there can be no low-level data races.