Netbeans vs. Eclipse (was: Re: Complete D grammar)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 08:32:36 PDT 2011

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:40:22 -0400, Bruno Medeiros
<brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail> wrote:

> On 04/04/2011 20:19, Aleksandar Ružičić wrote:

> On my side I'm surprised NetBeans hasn't faded into obscurity, but I
> haven't tried it for a long, long time, so this isn't really an informed
> opinion.
>
> So why is NetBeans much better editor than Eclipse? (I'm not just
> looking for a discussion, I'm curious about these issues as it might be
> something that can be taken into consideration for DDT development)

I don't use eclipse.  I use netbeans.  For me, it's installing a
additional language support vs. installing another IDE.  Otherwise, I'd be
neutral on the subject.

I'm not a huge IDE guy, I just have netbeans installed because they
support PHP w/ server-side debugging. But I've gotten used to netbeans and
their editor.  So I would probably feel more comfortable with a netbeans
version of D than an eclipse version.

As for "why is it better"? I have no clue, I don't use eclipse.  (I
realize this wasn't addressed at me, but I thought I'd just state my
opinion or lack thereof)

Don't know if eclipse has this or not, but probably the coolest feature in
netbeans' editor is the ability to highlight a block of text and "move" it
around using the keyboard (shift-alt-arrow) and copy it using the keyboard
(shift-ctrl-arrow).  I find myself trying to do this with other editors
all the time now.

My biggest pet-peeve with netbeans is when I want to change a value to a
string literal, I highlight what I want to change, then type a quote to
start typing the literal, the freaking thing instead just puts quotes
around the highlighted text (which means I now have to re-highlight the
text and press delete first).  I've never once *used* this feature, but it
gets in my way all the time (anyone know how to disable that?).

-Steve