Stroustrup on C++0x + JSF++ coding standard

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 20 10:02:58 PDT 2011

== Quote from Sean Kelly (sean at invisibleduck.org)'s article
> And with all the legacy code, the crufty old
> approach to doing things will stick around for a Long Time Yet.  Still,
> if D isn't an option, at least 0x eases some of the pain of using C++.

Exactly how I feel about C++1x.  It adds a lot of (though far from all) the
interesting features of D.  However, I can't stand the crufty old way of doing
things in C++ and want to abandon it wherever I can.  No matter how soon C++0x
gets finalized and implemented, the ecosystem of idiomatic C++0x code is going to
be small for ages, probably behind D.  (Full C++0x implementations will probably
be behind D implementations for a while, too.)  Similarly, D has plenty of
libraries if you count its ability to link to C.  It's just that you have to write
in crufty C style or write non-trivial D-ified wrappers to use them.