OOP, faster data layouts, compilers

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Apr 22 12:20:17 PDT 2011

Kai Meyer:

> The purpose of the original post was to indicate that some low level
> research shows that underlying data structures (as applied to video game
> development) can have an impact on the performance of the application,
> which D (I think) cares very much about.

The idea of the original post was a bit more complex: how can we invent new/better ways to express semantics in D code that will not forbid future D compilers to perform a bit of changes in the layout of data structures to increase code performance? Complex transforms of the data layout seem too much complex for even a good compiler, but maybe simpler ones will be possible. And I think to do this the D code needs some more semantics. I was suggesting an annotation that forbids inbound pointers, that allows the compiler to move data around a little, but this is just a start.

Bye,
bearophile