std.parallelism: VOTE IN THIS THREAD

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 24 12:19:23 PDT 2011

On 4/24/2011 3:09 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-04-24 at 13:41 -0400, dsimcha wrote:
> [ . . . ]
>> The review process leading up to the voting was not, however, a joke or
>> unanimous or anything similar.  I received plenty of tough-but-fair
>> criticism and it led to substantial improvements in the library and
>> especially the documentation.
>
> Which is perhaps why the review process itself is incredibly valuable
> but the vote process is a bit fatuous as a decision making system.

I understand the points being made here, but I actually think votes from
people who know little about topic X are valuable when evaluating API
design for a topic X library.  People who would only use a topic X
library occasionally are probably in the best position to judge whether
simple things are sufficiently simple.  People who would use such a
library all the time are probably so well versed in the topic and would
use the advanced features so often that they're likely to overlook this
aspect.