std.parallelism is accepted into Phobos

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Apr 26 10:37:39 PDT 2011

On 4/26/11 11:32 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 09:16 -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Bootstrapping issue. Make is almost guaranteed to exist, while the fancier tools are not.
>
> That may be the case but Makefiles are either incomprehensibly
> complicated or platform specific -- it is nigh on impossible to create a
> single Makefile that does its job sensibly on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X
> and Windows.

In reality if you target GNU make things are very portable.

> The advantage of tools such as Waf, SCons, CMake is that they manage
> the platform issues for you.

I hope that's not the only advantage. Anyhow, the problem here is that
you already mentioned three tools, none of which I know. If you could
write the equivalent of posix.mak in your favorite tool, we'd be in a
better position to evaluate how it improves our build process.

Andrei