deprecated delete and manual memory management

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:22:50 PDT 2011

Am 27.04.2011 00:58, schrieb bearophile:
> so:
>
>> I agree with others, we need the best documentation we can get on this subject.
>
> In-place allocation (or generally other forms of manual allocation and deallocation) of class instances in D2 is a topic well fit for a *long* article for the iPad2 contest (written for future D programmers coming from C++ too), and later this good article has to go among the D docs of the official documentation :-)
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

The D2 documentation should stop advertising custom allocators via new()
and delete() and the scope storage class.
This means http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/memory.html and
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/comparison.html (possibly more) should
be rewritten or adjusted.
BTW the comparison also lists strong typedefs which are also to be
deprecated AFAIK.

Furthermore: Why is emplace() in std.conv? I really wouldn't expect it
there.. more likely I'd look in std.typecons, because scoped!T() is
already there and does something related (allocate an object without new).

And while I'm complaining:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/phobos/phobos.html doesn't list core.stdc.*

Cheers,
- Daniel