deprecated delete and manual memory management

ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 11:44:04 PDT 2011

Den, skrevJacob Carlborg <doob at me.com>:
> Yeah, that's correct. But in this case I think he actually was referring
> to the latest commit. I'm pretty sure I've heard the latest commit in SVN
> be referred to as "trunk".

I'm too curious for my own good, so I had to waste some time to investigate.

It seems HEAD is a meta-reference, pointing to some other reference (such
as some other branch or a specific commit). For a full repository, it's
also the base of the current checkout. (Or really, the index, for anyone
else in my currently nit-picking mood).

For a bare repository (IE without a working-copy such as you would find on
GitHub), it seems to be whatever HEAD was in the repository that was
initially cloned to create the bare repository.

So, in the case assumed here, HEAD is the same thing as master, but it can
really be anything (including the initial zero-commit). So "master", is
always the last commit in the "master" branch, while HEAD can be anything.

I think "master" is always a better translation of "trunk". :)