Programming language benchmarks

Alexander aldem+dmars at nk7.net
Thu Apr 28 04:37:25 PDT 2011

On 28.04.2011 13:24, Robert Clipsham wrote:

> I also notice lots of nested for loops in some of the tests, which should be using slice operations really.

  This is the whole point of benchmarking, IMHO - to see how good compiler/optimizer (and VM, if any) are - for (almost) same code, same algorithm.

  I recall that once I was very surprised that gcc recognized expression ( ((X) << n) | ((X) >> (32 - n)) ) as "rotate left" and used single instruction for this. I wish DMD would do the same ;)

/Alexander