A few general thoughts

lenochware lenochware at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 03:11:36 PDT 2011

> This has been acknowledged. Yes, removing delete in D2 will break
> compatibility with existing code. However, I'm sure that at an early
> stage, the compiler will probably issue error messages once it
> encounters delete statements, for which the fix is quite easy: just
> remove them, and recompile. As an unfortunate side effect, a few other
> problems might occur, especially for shared objects. But refactoring to
> a simpler system, in which the garbage collector is trusted to manage
> the heap, should be easy.

Yes, I was speaking generally here about "breaking compatibility" philosophy.
I agree that delete probably will not be such problem - but I would prefer mark
features deprecated
before it will be really removed and write only warning when compiled - in case it
is possible. (For example some datatype was removed in d2 (bit? - I am not sure)
which is one of error messages which I get when I try compile my project with
incompatible library) People don't have to know what is planned for removing.
Moreover there is not complete list of changes in d2. Or is?