Linus with some good observations on garbage collection

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Apr 29 08:40:56 PDT 2011

> On 4/23/11 8:57 AM, dsimcha wrote:
>> BTW, since when does the ternary operator work with functions, as
>> opposed to variables?

And that's since the C days btw. The function call is just an operation,
the callee an operand, so any expression can be there.

> They are converted to pointers to functions. Not something I'd recommend
> because it makes the call slower.
>
> Andrei

Hum, I didn't know that. Why does it make the call slower (other than
the actual ternary operation), is it because it has to load the function
address from a register/variable, instead of being a constant value?
And/or not being able to inline the call?
I mean, the first aspect seems like a very minor impact in performance,
almost negligible.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer