opAssign() still accepted for classes???

Alexander aldem+dmars at nk7.net
Fri Apr 29 09:25:40 PDT 2011

On 29.04.2011 18:13, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> Static opCall is possible, but I wasn't aware of the other operator overloads being possible.

  I wasn't too - it is not mentioned anywhere, just tried it.

> Note that opAssign is a valid symbol name, so it can be used in places even where it doesn't overload assignment, such as a static or global function.  It just won't map to any operator usage.

  Well, the fact is - it maps. If I've static opAssign() defined, it is called when I assign something to an object.

  Even more fun - static opAdd() maps too, and - wow! - if it returns new object, i.e. construction like:

	X x;
	x = x + 3;

  then it will allocate new instance of X, where: static typeof(this) opAdd(int i) { return new X(i); }

  I am impressed... :)

/Alexander