What library functionality would you most like to see in D?

Jim Hewes jimhewes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 12:03:18 PDT 2011

"Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
news:j15kug$1v62$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2011-07-31 21:06, Jim Hewes wrote:
>
>> For my job I work on Windows, though I try not to be an O/S fanboy and
>> try to treat all platforms with equal credibility. But I guess one of my
>> peeves about open source and Linux (which seem to go together) is that
>> for any target goal there are a hundred half-finished, abandoned
>> projects. I assume this is because people don't get paid to do it and so
>> once they get tired of it they move on to other more interesting things.
>> I can't depend on that or sell it to my colleagues. Take a look at the
>> GUI page on the D wiki. There are a lot of projects, but almost all of
>> them seem to be either in alpha or beta stage or are abandoned. Further,
>> in every project, each developer usually chose to use some different
>> array of tools that I need to download and install in my computer just
>> to build his project. This gets kind of annoying on Windows.
>
> I fully agree with that and it's annoying. The wiki page could probably
> use some cleanup. About the tools, I'm working on a package manager for D
> that will ease installation of D libraries, tools and application. I and
> at least one other person is working on a build tool with the hope that we
> can all agree on one standard built tool for D.

I didn't mean to criticize the D compiler installation, which seems to
install pretty well on Windows. That is, after you install it you're ready
to go without additional setup or needing to install other things. I was
referring more to the peripheral projects and also just to open source in
general.

If DWT is the standard GUI in the same sense that MFC is for Microsoft C++,
then I thought it would be nice if it were included in the installer for the
D compiler. It could be an optional feature during installation. But if you
do choose to install it, then right after installation you should
immediately be able to build included sample GUI code projects.

> DWT works with D2 (Phobos) as well. It's statically linked so the hello
> world application gets quite large. But that's because it pulls in a lot
> of the library, meaning even if you start using other parts of the library
> it won't increase the size of the executable at the same rate.

Yeah, the main GUI library page on the wiki says that it works with Phobos,
but the Windows installation guide says to download Tango. So I wasn't sure
it was really updated to support Phobos. Thanks, I will try to check it out
next weekend.

Jim