What does C++ do better than D? - StackOverflow.com

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 15:28:14 PDT 2011

On 1/08/11 7:29 PM, Kagamin wrote:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>
>> Now on reddit!
>>
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/j48tf/how_is_c_better_than_d/
>
> C++ has a better thought out type system.
> Nice joke.
> http://blog.llvm.org/2011/05/c-at-google-here-be-dragons.html

Please read my note at the end. I believe D (probably) has a better type
system. It just wasn't very well though out.

I believe many aspects of D's type system were added in without fully
exploring the ramifications they had on other parts of the language.
There are at least two pieces of evidence which support my belief:

1. The fact that you can't copy const struct objects containing
reference types.

2. The fact that the root object still isn't const correct.

C++ has some questionable choices for its type system, but it generally
doesn't prevent you from getting work done.