What does C++ do better than D? - StackOverflow.com

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Aug 1 16:36:29 PDT 2011

> On 1/08/11 7:29 PM, Kagamin wrote:
> > Walter Bright Wrote:
> >> Now on reddit!
> >>
> >> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/j48tf/how_is_c_better_than_
> >> d/
> >
> > C++ has a better thought out type system.
> > Nice joke.
> > http://blog.llvm.org/2011/05/c-at-google-here-be-dragons.html
>
> Please read my note at the end. I believe D (probably) has a better type
> system. It just wasn't very well though out.
>
> I believe many aspects of D's type system were added in without fully
> exploring the ramifications they had on other parts of the language.
> There are at least two pieces of evidence which support my belief:
>
> 1. The fact that you can't copy const struct objects containing
> reference types.
>
> 2. The fact that the root object still isn't const correct.
>

> C++ has some questionable choices for its type system, but it generally
> doesn't prevent you from getting work done.

C++ is also a lot older. It's had more time to sort out its type system. It
also has a simpler type system. So, any issues that it had have long since
been resolved. D just hasn't had the same time to sort through all of the
issues in its type system. It'll get there soon enough though.

- Jonathan M Davis