What library functionality would you most like to see in D?

Brad Roberts braddr at slice-2.puremagic.com
Mon Aug 1 17:51:56 PDT 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 8/1/11 4:35 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > "Johann MacDonagh"<johann.macdonagh.no at spam.gmail.com>  wrote in message
> > news:j1501g$tbs$1 at digitalmars.com...
> > >
> > > 1. Database interface. Should support sqlite, mysql, postgres, etc...
> > > 3. Some kind of web framework.
> >
> > Agreed, but fortunately Adam's stuff for that is shaping up nicely:
> >
> > https://github.com/adamdruppe/misc-stuff-including-D-programming-language-web-stuff
> >
> > > 2. DWT fixed up and merged into Phobos.
> >
> > That'd certainly be nice.
>
> Interesting. What platforms does DWT work on? What is the general community
> opinion on integrating it within Phobos? Is there anyone willing to take on
> this task?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

I don't think that any gui library belongs in phobos because there's
essentially no agreement about what cross-platform library is standard.
Pick any random 10 gui developers about what library they used (assuming
they do anything cross-platform) and you'll get more than 1 answer.  I'd
be shocked if you get a clear enough majority to suggest 1 that'd make a
big set of people happy.

Sorry, the gui library landscape just doesn't approach being obvious
enough to be in the standard library.

My 2 cents,
Brad