What does C++ do better than D? - StackOverflow.com

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Aug 1 19:09:05 PDT 2011

Andrei:

> Mentioning these to the outside blows the issues out of
> proportion and conveys the wrong message to someone coming anew to D.

This is often true, unfortunately. But doing the opposite too has risks. If you keep saying only good things about a very complex systems X, people naturally start getting suspicious, because simply a so much complex system can't be perfect.

Such threads are always very messy. They are full of errors, good ideas, and everything else. I hope people do not believe everything said in such threads, both bad and good things. It's like a room full of people shouting, where half of them don't know what they are talking about :-)

> Plus, C++'s type system is marred by issues,

This is good information to know, thank you. I think most people need to write non obvious programs (like library code) both in C++ and D to understand some of the C++ problems you list, otherwise I think lot of programmers have difficulties understanding them in abstract, and they think D doesn't improve the situation enough compared to C++0x. D contains many improvements that are not easy to see. More articles that show D usage (compared to C++ too) are probably going to improve this a bit.

Bye,
bearophile