DMD with older versions of Linux

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Aug 3 17:26:42 PDT 2011

> Dreamhost doesn't provide an updated glibc in my vps server. Is it possible
> to run dmd on somewhat outdated linux distributions?
>
> I tried running dmd from the distribution but got:
>
> ./dmd: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by ./dmd)
>
> The instaled versions are:
>
> $ ldd --version
> ldd (GNU libc) 2.7
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux ps54363 2.6.33.7-vs2.3.0.36.30.4 #23 SMP Tue Sep 28 05:47:35 PDT 2010
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>

> If it's not possible to run the standard DMD package, could I build it from
> source using those versions?

I built it from source on Fedora 9 so that I could use some of my helper
programs at work. I had more problems getting git set up properly to grab the
latest stuff than building dmd. Building dmd worked just fine. If you use the
zip file from the latest release, it should be quite easy.

- Jonathan M Davis