ldc and gdc

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 07:56:30 PDT 2011

Trass3r wrote:
> GDC packages are available for Windoze thx to Daniel Green

Fantastic! Can we get them linked on the main site's download page?

> Compiling it on Linux is really straightforward, just follow the build
> instructions.

I don't know... the gdc itself wasn't so bad (aside from taking forever,
just waiting on tar zxf for gcc was a huge huge wait) but the
instructions didn't even mention the runtime and phobos. I had some
weird compile errors on that when I tried.

Maybe it's straightforward if you've done it once before, but I don't
think it is as a first time user.

> I don't know if it's reasonable to do so since LDC2 is still in flux.

So is dmd!

> Also I guess most people would expect a proper Linux package like a
> PPA for Ubuntu with automatic updates rather than getting a zip file.

Blargh, I'd prefer a zip to that by a lot, especially since I don't
use ubuntu. A zip should work on almost any distribution.