What library functionality would you most like to see in D?

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 10:23:01 PDT 2011

On 04.08.2011 19:50, Mehrdad wrote:
> More powerful regexes (like in .NET).
>
> The current one is pretty much unusable due to lack of support for
> Unicode, and lacks lots of important features (named captures come to
> mind).

I'm working on a replacement engine as GSOC project, both named captures
and modern Unicode support are implemented. I plan to wrap up a public
beta by the next week, to get some early feedback.
In terms of speed in general it seems to be on par with PCRE, but I
haven't done any pattern-specific tuning (which PCRE surely does).
     I looked over all what .NET supports, and right now new engine has
support for the most of it's syntactic riches (including character set
operations) albeit with slightly different syntax.
Exceptions: (?(expression)yes| no)  which looks like a hack, (?#
comment) and setting flags in midair (?im).
I'll definitely add free spacing syntax mode (see perl) and setting
flags though.
Anyway, if you are wondering if I missed any other cool regex feature,
just ask :)

--
Dmitry Olshansky