What library functionality would you most like to see in D?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Thu Aug 4 13:16:39 PDT 2011

Am 04.08.2011, 18:42 Uhr, schrieb Graham Fawcett <fawcett at uwindsor.ca>:

> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 15:50:18 +0000, Mehrdad wrote:
>
>> More powerful regexes (like in .NET).
>>
>> The current one is pretty much unusable due to lack of support for
>> Unicode, and lacks lots of important features (named captures come to
>> mind).
>
> Just a thought -- libpcre is a very popular RE library, available under
> BSD. It has UTF-8 support, though not support for other Unicode
> encodings.
> Google's pcrecpp wrapper might be a source of inspiration. Would a PCRE
> wrapper be suitable for Phobos?
>
> Graham

I wonder what the general consensus is on wrappers. Berkley Sockets are
good, since all supported OSs implement that API somehow. But GUI, PCRE
and others need libraries installed. In my perfect world there would be
wrappers, but they would work with corresponding libraries on Windows and
Posix bases OSs. The idea of package dependencies is just not wide-spread
in the Windows world and installing pcre, gtk, cairo, ... together with D
on Windows seems clumsy to me :D If these libraries aren't available on
Windows then the second best is a unique D implementation.
If D was Linux only then I'd agree. I could understand if others say that
the D installer for Windows could install those libraries as well.

Just my 2 cents