std.path review: final version(?)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 6 14:25:40 PDT 2011

On Thursday 04 August 2011 10:55:31 Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> Since the voting is supposed to start today (not in this thread; dsimcha
> will annouce it), here is the (hopefully) final version of std.path:
>
>   https://github.com/kyllingstad/phobos/blob/std-path/std/path.d
>   http://www.kyllingen.net/code/std-path/phobos-prerelease/std_path.html
>
> New commits since the last update (dated 2011-08-03 and 2011-08-04) are
> listed here:
>
>   https://github.com/kyllingstad/phobos/commits/std-path
>
> Highlights:
>
>   - extension() now returns the dot together with the extension
>   - The dot is optional in set-/defaultExtension()
>   - Removed normalize(), since it simply called buildNormalizedPath()
>
> I kept the longer names for *Extension and *Separator, because
>
>   - I personally like them better; they are clear and consistent
>   - Jonathan is the only one who seems to really dislike them
>   - There is ample precedent for longish function names in Phobos (see
> std.algorithm, for instance)

As a reminder, before you create a pull request for the new std.path (which
looks like it'll probably make it in via a unanimous vote in favor), you need
to replace the aliases for the old functions with the actual old functions
(since the behavior has changed for a number of them) and mark them as
scheduled for deprecation in their documentation instead of deprecating them.

- Jonathan M Davis