std.concurrency wrapper over MPI?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Aug 7 08:36:39 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-07 00:09, dsimcha wrote:
> On 8/6/2011 5:38 PM, jdrewsen wrote:
>> AFAIK David Nadlinger is handling serialization in his GSOC Thrift
>> project that he is working on currently.
>>
>> /Jonas
>
> Good to know, but what flavor? As I see it there is a three-way tradeoff
> in serialization. In order of importance for distributed parallelism,
> the qualities are:

I can answer these tradeoff for the Orange serialization library,
http://dsource.org/projects/orange/.

> 1. Efficiency. How much does it cost to serialize/unserialize something
> and how much space overhead is there?

I haven't done any measurements but I would guess it depends on which
archive type is used. The actual serializer tries to do quite a lot,
where possible, at compile time. But it also stores a reference for
every serialized value, in the case a pointer points to the value.

> 2. Flexibility w.r.t. types: How many types can be serialized? How
> faithfully are they reproduced on the other end w.r.t. things like
> pointer/reference/slice aliasing?

If I haven't missed something Orange can serialize almost all types,
except unions, function pointers, void pointers and delegates.

> 3. Standardization: How universally understood is the format? Can it be
> used to send data across different CPU architectures? Across languages?
> Is it human readable? Is it based on some meta-format like XML?

Currently, the only available format is XML.

--
/Jacob Carlborg