std.concurrency wrapper over MPI?

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 09:24:20 PDT 2011

On 8/6/2011 12:32 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> I'd love to be able to send classes between processes, but first we need a good serialization/deserialization mechanism.

The more I think about it, the more I think that std.concurrency isn't
quite the right interface for cluster parallelism.  I'm thinking instead
of doing something loosely based on, but not a translation of,
boost::mpi.  The following differences between std.concurrency and what
makes sense for MPI bother me:

1.  shared/immutable isn't needed when you're copying the data anyhow.

2.  spawn() is taken care of by the MPI runtime.

3.  std.concurrency doesn't support broadcasting.