Std.path: Final Vote

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Aug 10 10:41:56 PDT 2011

On 8/10/11 9:46 AM, dsimcha wrote:
> == Quote from Russel Winder (russel at russel.org.uk)'s article
>> --=-/EZ9N8/9sZ9dsJoreonX
>> On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 11:19 +0000, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>>> I would just like to remind everyone that there are now only two days=20
>>> left until voting ends.  While I am certainly pleased that everyone has=
>> =20
>>> so far voted "yes", I am a bit worried that so few people have voted in=
>> =20
>>> the first place.
>>> =20
>>> This module may become a permanent part of D's standard library.  If you=
>> =20
>>> care about this, either way, please cast your vote now.
>> I suspect there are many people who have not followed the debate nor
>> reviewed the code who are therefore taking the view that to cast a vote
>> would be somewhat out of order.  I think that as long as those people
>> who have been active in the evaluation have cast a vote, and Walter et
>> al. are happy that due process has been followed, then even with what
>> appears to be a low turn out, given that it is yes, nem con, becoming
>> part of the standard library is a sensible natural consequence.
>
> Yeah.  IMHO, the voting process is mostly a formality, though a necessary one.  If
> a module makes it to a vote, it's probably going to be overwhelmingly accepted,
> but that's because the process serves as an effective deterrent to crappy code
> making it to a vote, not because the vote isn't serving any useful purpose.  It's
> kind of like Ph.D. thesis defenses in the U.S.  Almost noone ever fails, but
> that's because noone ever defends their thesis until they're almost sure it would
> pass, not because the defense process is a useless rubber stamp.

That makes horror stories of failed defenses all the more horrifying :o).

Apologies for not voting. I'm not able to put time into a review now,
but I'm confident that the process has shaken any major issues I might
have had with the module. We've come a long way in terms of community
and process.

Andrei