[GSOC] regular expressions beta is here

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Wed Aug 10 12:42:01 PDT 2011

Am 10.08.2011, 19:24 Uhr, schrieb Adam D. Ruppe
<destructionator at gmail.com>:

> bearophile:
>
> The thing is just because you call it a problem a lot doesn't mean
> everyone else sees it that way.
>
> A lot of us have many years of experience and just don't see it the
> same way you do.

I think a blank line makes code easier on the eyes. When you scroll over
it you recognize easily where you are from the size and shape of the
paragraphs. So I totally understand that. On the other hand my laptop
screen is 1280x800 and I also feel that sometimes I think I scroll over
the end of a function body when there is just a blank line in a block of
code. So usually I go with the approach of inserting a comment line
instead of a blank line, which is usually italic and in a brighter color.
If I was working on a Phobos module I would try to mime existing code
style (and probably find out that there is no common style :p ). Anyway
such things can be up to a vote just like the idea to not use single
capital letters only for template type placeholders (i.e. T, S).
Google's code style wiki is nice. It lists all the rules and also offers
an explanation. We can have that for Phobos, too. So topics like these
don't come up over and over again. The D style guide is a good start:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/dstyle.html