Fixing valid options for std.getopt

Brad Roberts braddr at slice-2.puremagic.com
Wed Aug 10 16:14:49 PDT 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, David Nadlinger wrote:

> On 8/10/11 3:57 AM, Andrew Wiley wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:01 PM, David Nadlinger <see at klickverbot.at
> > <mailto:see at klickverbot.at>> wrote:
> >     I don't know what your definition of odd is, but some
> >     counterexamples that immediately come to my mind: GCC, just about
> >     every Java VM, LLVM/Clang, ?
> >
> >     David
> > I can't think of an example with GCC. It does things like
> > -fdisable-some-option, but I can't think of a multicharacter _flag_.
>
> Just have a look at its manpage? -combine, -pipe, -pedantic, -trigraphs, etc.
>
> David

While it's not hard to find some software the deviates from the behavior
of getopt based parameters, I think you'll notice that the majority of it
is ancient software.  Like any ancient system, there's a cost/benefit to
changes that often falls on the "don't change it" side.  I greatly prefer
the predictability and standardization that getopt style parameter
handling has brought to the world and strongly urge NOT going very far
with expanding its capabilities.  DMD is a particularly good example of
bad parameter handling, imho.

My 2 cents,
Brad