CSV Documentation

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 20:42:17 PDT 2011

On 8/10/2011 10:36 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> I'm hoping to be able to get a review of the documentation in terms of
> content. The things I'm interested in.
>
> Can you easily identify it's capabilities? Does it answer questions if you
> are interested in how do do something? Opinions on the TODO items?
> Do I need more examples, fewer?
> Is the documentation too long?
>
> I'm not looking to add functionality, I'm interested in opinions of the
> interface/naming for what it is capable of. I think other functionality
> can be added onto the interface.
>
> I'll be working on a Phobos branch so that it is ready for a true review,
> vote, and being pulled in.
>
> The URL for documentation is:
> http://nascent.freeshell.org/programming/D/csv.html

Looks pretty good.  The examples are very simple and useful.  I'd be
able to figure out how to use that module in a few minutes.

One point of clarification:  You can combine the struct example with the
header example, right?  E.g.:

  string str = "Name,Value,Other\nHello,65,63.63\nWorld,123,3673.562";
  struct Layout {
      string name;
      int value;
  }

  auto records = csvText!Layout(str, ["Name", "Value"]);

  foreach(record; records) {
      writeln(record.name);
      writeln(record.value);
  }

Also, I'd strongly recommend using CandyDoc or something when presenting
ddoc documentation.  IMHO ddoc needs a more reasonable/readable default
documentation style.  The default is very annoying to read.