DIP11

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 06:56:54 PDT 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 05:04:13 -0400, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2011-08-11 21:36, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> be one-file based, you just need to have a way to map
>> physical packages to module packages.
>>
>> The DIP doesn't explain all this except for the sections titled
>> "Packaging" and "protocols"
>
> The DIP needs to explain this, is that the whole point?

The DIP focuses on the compiler changes needed + gives rudimentary
functionality based on a simple protocol (http).  I think the scope of
work for creating the tool which does full-fledged packaging is way too
much for the DIP, and probably would be counter productive to create a
spec for it right now.

The point of those two sections is to remind you not to think in terms of
"this only downloads individual files via http", but to think about the
future functinality that such a tool could provide once the compiler has
been hooked.  The details of the tool are purposely left open for design.

-Steve