DIP11

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 10:08:38 PDT 2011

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:30:42 -0400, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2011-08-12 15:53, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> This is not true. The compiler implements *hooks* for a download tool.
>> The download tool will be a separate process which turns urls (generated
>> by the compiler) into source files. Once the hooks are implemented, the
>> tool is independent, and we would be idiotic not to implement it in D.
>>
>> I think you may not have read the DIP fully, or it is not clear enough.
>>
>> -Steve
>
> I've read the whole DIP and I know there is an external tool that
> downloads the files. I also know that DMD doesn't have these hooks, I
> rest my case.

I thought you meant we would be dependent on Walter to write the *download
part* of the DIP, not the compiler hooks.

The hooks should be pretty simple I would think.

But in any case, you should have a look at github and all the new people
who are working on pull requests for the compiler.  The group of dmd code
contributors has significantly grown.

-Steve