Which Phobos modules are expected to get a redesign?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 13 00:45:15 PDT 2011

If possible, I'd like to get the actual list of modules which we're expecting
to redesign in Phobos. The ones that I'm sure are supposed to get some level
of redesign are

std.json
std.process
std.stream
std.variant
std.xml

Besides those, std.container isn't really going to be redesigned all that much
from what I understand, but some level of redesign is going to occur to sort
out memory management as well as fill out the list of containers that it has.
Also, std.getopt looks like it's going to get some level of redesign to sort
out its behavior, but I don't know whether it's enough to get a full, formal
review. And there has been some discussion of std.encoding getting redesigned,
but there are no firm plans about that. std.string also likely needs some
redesign with regards to its functions which take patterns, but the module as
a whole doesn't need to be reworked.

One that I'm not at all sure about is std.socket. Does it need a redesign? Is
it the current plan for someone to redesign it at some point? I've never used
it so, I don't particularly familiar with what may or may not need to be done
with it. I've heard it mentioned that it might need a redesign though.

Are there any others besides those? Did I miss any? I'd like us to have a
fairly firm list on what modules need to be redesigned so that we can make sure
that it's taken care of in a timely manner and so that we can be clear about
what we have left to do in terms of major reworking of Phobos. We need to be
working towards having an API for Phobos which is as fully stable as we can
reasonably get it.

Also, it would be good if we could get some clarity with regards to which
modules currently have someone working on their redesign and which need
someone to take on the work of reworking them.

- Jonathan M Davis