Any D developer at GDC europe next week ?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 13 01:00:26 PDT 2011

On Saturday, August 13, 2011 10:49:43 Jouko Koski wrote:
> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote:
> > Any sentence involving the phrases "C++" and "it works" needs to be
> > appended with something like "...sort of" or "...barely".
>
> When I talk about D programming language to somebody, I prefer avoiding this
> sort of tone entirely.

Not to mention, if you're trying to get a C++ programmer to try D, odds are
that they don't think that C++ is junk. There's almost certainly stuff about it
which they don't like or wish were improved, but they're almost certainly not
going to think that C++ is junk or that it only works "sort of" or "barely."
C++ works extremely well for a lot of stuff, which is why it's used for a lot
of stuff. It has lot of issues too, and it's understandable if someone doesn't
want to use it, but odds are that someone who uses C++ on a regular basis -
_especially_ if they use it by choice - is not going to think all that badly
of it.

Honestly, if you're trying to get someone to try D, you're going to need to
talk about D's good points, _not_ why the language that you're trying to get
them to drop is junk. That's likely to just make them defensive and not listen
to you.

- Jonathan M Davis