Thoughts on std.system.OS

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sat Aug 13 12:08:36 PDT 2011

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 20:16:52 +0300, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
wrote:

> As for doing something like you suggest with the os_major and os_minor
> numbers, it does seem kind of messy. If all you want is comparison, you
> can do
> that with the existing enum, and it covers all of the Windows versions
> that
> most people will care about.

Please, no. Ignoring server Windows versions is a huge mistake, and their
version numbers go in the same pace as the client ones.

Personally, I don't think that distro detection belongs in Phobos. It
seems way too undocumented and unstandardized.

> As for doing something like you suggest with the os_major and os_minor
> numbers, it does seem kind of messy.

I think it's less messy than pretending that all but certain popular
Windows versions don't exist.

What about the dynamic array idea for version number representation and
comparison? Would that work? It seems to me like a nice clean solution.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net