Thoughts on std.system.OS

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Sun Aug 14 09:24:21 PDT 2011

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 02:47:21 +0300, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
wrote:

> Personally, I'm
> inclined to drop the Os enum along with the os and os_major and os_minor
> variables, because I just don't think that we can get them to be correct
> enough of generally useful enough to be worth having. It's too
> OS-specific to
> be trying to handle it in an OS-generic manner like that.

Looking at the code again, I noticed there's a Family enum, which seems to
me closer to what the OS enum should really be. I think Family should just
replace OS.

I don't agree that we should just drop version numbers. As I said before,
they can be useful for users. They can also be useful for programs that
care only about a certain OS family.

What do you think about this?

https://github.com/CyberShadow/phobos/blob/new-std-system/std/system.d

--