Native Client in Chrome Beta

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 14 17:41:56 PDT 2011

On Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:29:28 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am 14.08.2011, 22:00 Uhr, schrieb Andrew Wiley <wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Marco Leise <Marco.Leise at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Am 14.08.2011, 06:41 Uhr, schrieb Andrew Wiley <wiley.andrew.j at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>>  On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 5:10 AM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>**

>>> Is this basically the same as the Java applet interface to the browser
>>> without the "compile once
, run everywhere", but with better API?

>> I haven't ever dealt with the applet interface, but that quote came from
>> http://code.google.com/chrome/nativeclient/docs/technical_overview.html if
>> you want to take a closer look. The Pepper API docs are there as well.
>
> It doesn't convince me. The driving force seems to be moving desktop applications into the browser. That's
> understandable since a lot of people at Google use their web services where possible. I personally don't like that
> centralization on the browser. It adds up on complexity and bugs, trying to be an operating system that manages running
> applications. How do they make sure the code is safer than what we know from ActiveX? Even the WebGL standard was in the
> critics, because it was obviously accessing the gfx card and a malicious texture upload in a buggy driver could become a
> security risk.
> Maybe it finds a way through good advertising or real-time games which run faster with native code
instead of
> JavaScript, but there will always be some bad memories from http://www.adoko.com/activex.html
> At least they take the issue serious :)
> http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/google-wants-to-buy-native-client-security-flaws/2702

Quite frankly, it's too late to pretend that the web and the browser is
all there is for a large segment of the computer and 'net using
population.  They never leave the browser.  That's only going to grow.
Pretending otherwise, is, well, fairly pointless.  The people on this
are in a very small minority and do NOT represent the typical user.
Haven't for a long time.

Sorry Nick.

Later,
Brad