CURL review request

Alix Pexton alix.DOT.pexton at gmail.DOT.com
Tue Aug 16 06:54:47 PDT 2011

On 16/08/2011 12:48, Jonas Drewsen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a review request for the curl wrapper. Please read the "known
> issues" in the top of the source file and if possible suggest a solution.
>
> We also need somebody for running the review process. Anyone?
>
> Code:
> https://github.com/jcd/phobos/blob/curl-wrapper/etc/curl.d
> Docs:
> http://freeze.steamwinter.com/D/web/phobos/etc_curl.html
>
> Demolish!
>
> /Jonas

Here are my initial observations and impressions...

In the opening description...
"The request is perform when first accessing..." -> "The request is
performed when first accessing..."

On first reading, I found it very hard to follow the first collected
example. (Still not 100% clear after reading the whole of the
documentation either >< )

Some (all?) of the @property members of Protocol are documented as
functions. (Perhaps an artefact of the ddoc mixin issue mentioned before
this section?)

Description of Protocol.onSend...
"...specifies the max number of bytes that can be send." ->
"...specifies the maximum number of bytes that can be sent."
"...returns the number of elements in the buffer that has been filled
and is ready to send." -> "...returns the number of elements in the
buffer that have been filled and are ready to send."

Description of Protocol.onReceive...
"...is not guaranteed to be valid aften the callback returns." -> "...is
not guaranteed to be valid after the callback returns."

Protocol.onProgress represents transfer statistics using doubles?

CurlTimeCond, members are all lower case, took me a few goes to work out
what they might mean, still not all that sure. Should I assume that if
the meanings are not obvious that I'm not ready to be tinkering with
curl at this level, or should each value be clarified?

Http.addHeader / Http.setHeader both have the same description, I assume
the latter overwrites an existing value if it exists? what is the
behaviour of addHeader when the key already exists?

Http.setTimeCondition parameter names in ddoc don't match those in the
function prototype.

Http._whatever_Async (and also Async functions for Ftp.)
"Asynchronous HTTP _WHATEVER_ to the specified URL." -> "Performs a HTTP
_WHATEVER_ on the specified URL, asynchronously."
(Wording looks very similar across this group of functions, not sure if
my suggested alteration here correctly captures the subtleties for all
cases. Also, later examples are just marked as "Asynchronous version
of..." and lose the note about callbacks, which I assume still apply.)

All callbacks are write only properties which prevents the use of event
hooking (which, in my experience, is a common occurrence in event based
models). Hooking might not apply in this case however (I've not
particularly thought through any use cases) and safe event hooking might
be beyond the scope of this module.

Http.traceAsync
Calls AsyncResult with Method.get? I would have expected Method.trace,
but I only spotted this by chance, could very well be my ignorance
showing ^^

Http.onReceiveStatusLine
"...several callbacks can be done for on call to perform() because if
redirections." -> "...several callbacks can be done for each call to
perform() [because of | due to] redirections."

Http.authenticationMethod
std.etc.c.curl.AuthMethod? I think this is an issue with the XREF macro
not expecting the link to break out of the std package.

Ftp.Result.encoding / Ftp.AsyncResult.encoding
I'm not sure what these functions are supposed to return, the
descriptions seem inadequate.

---

Not fully read all the source yet, but as I'm not all that familiar with
curl, I'm not sure I'll spot much ^^

Not a criticism, but at first glance, it doesn't feel very D-ey, but I'm
still not 100% sure what idiomatic D is yet.

A...